Saturday, January 17, 2009

...raising the bar.....


One week on from the Mt Half and I am finally starting to come to terms with the win. It was all quite surreal and it was small snippets of video and photos that helped me believe that it was in fact me out there and not some other bloke! I guess I wont be totally convinced until the race coverage is aired and I can re-live the day!


Following the race I had 3 days off normal training. I had a spin on the rollers on Tuesday and then was back into things come Wednesday. My recovery has surprised me as in the past I would have been a write off for a week! This improvement is undoubtedly due to the change in approach to my training. Mark W.s programmes have increased my durability and hardened me to the effects of racing. By being able to train again earlier will also increase the "training effect" from the 1/2 allowing me to springboard on to the next level.


This week I'm back to my job at Tenon, if only for 2 days before heading off to Auckland to join Cameron B. and a few other elite athletes for a 5 day camp. This is going to be wicked and I'm really looking forward to the hard work and more importantly the wealth of knowledge these guys all have. The schedule is impressive and I will be very interested to see how I handle the week.


I have been lucky enough over the last week to do some training with Dirk Bockel, an ITU triathlete from Luxembourg. Hes the guy that had all us Kiwis nervous at Beijing when he lead of the bike and held off the best runners in the sport for much longer than any Kiwi was comfortable with! Dirk is here in Taupo through to the Ironman where he is lining up for his first hit out at the distance. I have already learnt much from him especially in the pool where he is extremely proficient. It is great he is here and we will be able to help each other in the lead up to the big day.


That's all for this week, tune in next week for a run down of the big camp and no doubt some interesting tales stemming from it.


Cheers

Dunc:)


No comments:

Post a Comment